In herbalism, we use parts. I will make it simple for you by making my “parts” Cups. There are eight ounces in one cup. So for a harder salve, you would use one cup of melted butters and oil to one ounce of beeswax. You can also make it softer by adding 12 ounces of oil to one ounce of beeswax. It all depends on your carrier oils. We will be using mango butter, melted with jojoba oil and Vitamin E. You can use Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Avocado Oil….Anything you like. just remember..the butters will harden more than olive oil, and oils will be creamy and softer than butters. I have found it easy to ﬁx a salve gone wrong. If it is too hard, add more oil…if it is too soft, add a little more beeswax. I like this recipe, and ﬁnd it to be right in the middle. The fun about wildcrafting is you get to create your own recipe! You make it to your liking!
- 2 oz calendula oil
- 6 oz mango butter or she butter
- 1 oz beeswax
- Essential Oils of your choice….10-40 drops
- In a double boiler, melt one ounce of beeswax in a small mason jar.
- As the beeswax melts…about twenty minutes…prepare your butters and oils.
- melt down 6 ounces of mango butter in a separate pan…double boil on low.
- Slowly add your calendula oil. Heat slowly and stir. Make sure to only heat your butters and oils to medium temperatures. They are delicate.
- When the mango butter and calendula are melted, add the Vitamin E to the hot melted beeswax. It should be completely melted and very warm.
- Add the beeswax mixture to your mango butter calendula mixture.
- Stir well for two- three minutes and take off the heat.
- You may now test your salve consistency. Place a metal spoon slightly in the mixture and place on a wax paper sheet. To speed hardening, place in fridge. Take a sample from the spoon. Is it too hard? Is it to soft? You may add more oil, or more beeswax to ﬁx the consistency. It does help to melt a little more beeswax than needed just in case! Start with a table spoon of either one and go from there.
- If you are happy with your salveʼs consistency, then you may now add your Essential Oils if desired.
- Gently pour the mixture into your 8 oz jar, or your little 1-2 oz jars. Label and enjoy!
- For a darker Calendula Salve, Use more calendula oil and less mango butter. Most Calendula Oil is Olive Oil Infused…So you may need a tiny bit more beeswax.
- Enjoy on Family and Friends!